Suwanee is a city in Gwinnett County, in the U.S. state of Georgia. The population was 8,725 at the 2000 Census. As of 2010, the population is approximately 15,355. Suwanee was the practicing home of the Atlanta Falcons football team from 1979 to 2001 and was voted among the Top 10 Best Places to Live by Money in 2007. In 2012, Suwanee was rated the third best place in America for raising families by Kiplinger, and in 2013, Suwanee was identified as one of the nation’s 10 Best Towns for Families by Family Circle magazine. Suwanee, as did most towns in Georgia, started out as an Indian village. It was centered around the Chattahoochee River, where societies flourished. The city of Suwanee itself was established and officially recognized by the U.S. government in 1837 upon the erection of a post office. In 1871 and 1880 respectively, the Georgia Air Line Railroad was built through Suwanee, and the Rhodes House hotel was built to house passengers of the railroad.
Beginning in 1933 and ending in 1936, the now heavily traveled Buford Highway was constructed through Suwanee. In 1960, Interstate 85 was built to extend to Suwanee, where it ended at the time. Throughout the last 100 years, several primary education schools have opened in Suwanee, including North Gwinnett High School and Suwanee Elementary School. The first known date for Suwanee High School was 1880, when it was a one-room school house. The first city hall was built in the early 1960s, and the current city hall was built in 1997. In 2003, Suwanee was named a City of Excellence by the Georgia Municipal Association and Trend Magazine, which is considered to be a great honor in the state of Georgia.
The most widely known park in Suwanee, Georgia is the Town Center Park, a 10-acre (4.0 ha) park on Buford Highway and Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road. It is the venue for the community’s special events, and contains an amphitheater that holds up to 1,000 audience members where numerous concerts and other various performances are held. The Town Center Park has Gwinnett County’s largest interactive fountain called the “Big Splash”. The fountain has 43 jets and uses 1,400 US gallons (5,300 l; 1,200 imp gal) of water each minute. The water is recycled. George Pierce Park is a 300-acre (120 ha) park with football, baseball, soccer, and softball fields, a fishing pond, hard- and soft-surfaced trails, picnic areas, a playground, outdoor basketball courts, and a senior center.